Last updated on October 19th, 2019 at 01:11 pm
Marina Beach is the main beach in Chennai and its located at the center of the city. Marina Beach is the world’s second-longest beach has many landmarks of Chennai and is stretched out to a distance of 13 km. From the morning’s day until the evening, you will find crowds either enjoying fun activities thronging the shore or enjoying the sea breeze. Also, have to must visit the lighthouse which is in the situated in southern end of the beach, the only one lighthouse with a lift facility in India. Move on to the peak of the lighthouse and look over the amazing views of the beach and town out. You may enjoy morning or evening walk with crispy sundal and murukku available at food stalls with a variety of snacks on.
History of Beach
Before the construction of the Madras Harbour, the beach was nothing that a piece of mud infested with mudskippers. The beach was built as a result of the usual sandy steps up to the present road until 1881 when the harbor was built. The magnificent beauty of Marina Beach was first noticed by Mountstuart Elphinstone Grant Duff, the Governor of Madras, and he was ordered to build a boulevard with a stretch of sand. From 1881 to 1886, Beach worked diligently, and in 1884 Elphinstone named Madras Marina. Since the 19th century, many structures have been added to the shores of the Marina coastline.
Tips for Visiting Beach
- Carry sunscreen, sunglasses and water bottles
- Wear comfortable footwear
- Swimming is prohibited in the sea because of dangerous tides. On the other hand, if you want to swim there is designated pools are exists in the beach area.
Best time to Visit Beach
- During this month of November to February weather is pleasant and you are spared the hot and humid climate.
- Everyday Morning and evening hours are cooler and more pleasant.
Attractions and Activities
- Mahatma Gandhi statue
- Old Light House
How to Reach Beach
Location: Marina Beach Road
Mode of Transport: Bus, Cab and Auto
Distance: 5.2 KM